Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Wimp

The other night I was watching Jackass with Ren. We laughed alot at some of the stunts they did, but others just made my butt cheeks clench. For some reason, I can't quite stomach all the things that I used to be able to watch. I think having a child (either that or growing older) has made me a wimp. During the commercials, they kept airing footage of a new MTV show that's going to begin in April called Scarred. It's basically a show that airs videos of other people getting injured (usually skateboarding)...VERY injured, with all the bloody gruesomeness that comes along with that. I'm talking protruding broken bones, bloody noses and the whole bit. R and I even had trouble watching the commercials for it. We had to look away every time they aired it because it was just too painful to watch. I don't know why my gross-out tolerance has diminished, but I wasn't always like this. In my youthful, nothing can gross me out days, I was able to watch "Faces of Death" and browse through the "rotten.com" files once in a while. If there was a train wreck of any kind, I wanted to see it. Now, I find that I just can't do that anymore.

Another way that having a child has influenced me is that I've become such a cry-baby when I see something on TV where a young child (especially if it's a boy) is suffering in any way. All these To Catch a Predator shows freak me out (don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're doing it, but it's just really eye-opening) and make me want to lock my son up in his room. Turning on the news doesn't help either with all the stories on child abduction, murder and abuse. Monday night, I saw Cold Case Files and nearly lost it at the end. It seems that I am not the only mom that this has happened to either. Meredith from Daily Kvetch also wrote (albeit, more eloquently than I) about her lowered tolerance for sad and disturbing things since she's become a mother, as well as her inability to watch the news these days.

It seems that becoming a parent does make you an wimp, an overprotective wimp in my case. When my brother was young, he had a friend who's parents would never let him sleep over anybody's house. My mom and I used to think that it was ridiculous and overprotective, but the more I watch TV these days, the more I start to agree with the parents of that boy.

Perhaps I need to stop watching TV otherwise I'll never want to let Chris out of his room:
No, you can't go outside....What? You want to learn to ride a bike? Riding a bike is overrated.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Meredith said...

To be honest, I could never watch a lot of that stuff before kids too but I did used to like Cold Case but the first time I saw it again after LM was born was the last time. I deleted it immediately from my TiVo Season Pass list.

I am so totally going to be that mom that the other parents think is crazy, especially when I come over and inspect their house before the sleep over and then spend the night in the car parked in front of their house with the night vision goggles.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Tere said...

It's happened to me too. It's expanded to include sappy commercials and shows about parent-child bonds and love and stuff...

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home