Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Bonjour Hippies

Because I am a professional student, I have enrolled myself in two classes this semester. One of them is Modern Dance and the other is French 101. I have been to both classes already this week and it seems I will have a jolly ole time this semester.

I went to my first modern dance class yesterday. When I signed up for this class, I originally thought that it would be something like jazz or hip hop or something of that nature. Apparently I was wrong. There is nothing modern about modern dance. It turns out that modern dance is a very crunchy granola, tree hugger type of dance. "Observe the world around you, observe how people move, how the grass sways, how the leaves in the tree whirl about in the wind...this will inspire you in dance movements...". Oh brother. Those that know me, know that I'm not much of a hippie, so upon hearing this, I just wanted to make like a tree...
During the 90 minute class, the teacher had us get into groups, become shapes, do poses, tip-toe, walk on our hands, skip, hop and stop. drop. and roll, Dick, roll. (Ok, maybe not the last one, but all the others are silly too). I must admit that I did have fun though, I had never tried this interpretive dance business before. The closest I had come to interpretive dance was watching a friend of mine do her tribal dance...you know who you are. It was fun though and I am going to stick with the class despite my initial misgivings. The class also taught me how out of shape I have gotten...my thigh muscles are burning today. I've been walking like a cowboy all day. I feel like Ace Ventura when he got stabbed in the thighs in the Circle of Death match. If you haven't seen that movie, you so need to, it is soooo funny, my favorite part is when he is coming out of the rhino's butt...

I'm sorry, I've run off on a tangent...where were we? Oh yes, my classes. Well, today I went to French 101. Why is she taking French 101 you ask? Well, because I have forgotten most of the three years of French that I took in middle school and high school, so I thought it would be fun to take French again. I know it's kind of cheating to take French 101, but I'm lazy and I don't want to have to work too hard. The teacher is nice and greeted us "Bonjour Classe", she then proceeded to say almost everything in French. It was fun watching the blank stares. I of course understood everything she said...then again, I shouldn't even be in that class. I hope the teacher doesn't catch on and throw me out of her "classe".


*no hippies or trees were harmed in the making of this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home