Friday, January 13, 2006

Wooden Americans

Today is Friday the 13th, so I guess today is an appropriate day to remind my fellow readers (all three of you...ha ha) that I absolutely lurve Halloween and all things creepy, spooky, and having to do with ghosts and the paranormal. Those of you that have known me for a while know this already, but I bet you don't know this...

I'm fascinated by it all, but at the same time am very scared of those things. It's quite perplexing I tell you. I love to hear scary stories, but then I get really scared and start imagining things. I don't like really really dark rooms where I can't see my hand in front of my face. I wasn't able to go into the haunted house (with my eyes open) at the Fair until about 5 years ago. I was just way too scared of the lights and animatronics...yes, it's silly, I know. Wait, it gets better...creepy dolls freak me out, especially ventriloquists' dummies, oh wait, I'm sorry, I think "they prefer to be called Wooden Americans". Either way, I saw this movie once where a wooden American is trying to kill someone and the person lays down on the floor to look under the door and the dum..er..wooden American is on the other side of the door lying on the floor doing the same, peeking back at him. Creeeeepy! Another good one is when a boy gets pulled under the bed by a clown that used to be sitting on the chair in his room. That one kept me from looking under the bed for a long long time, especially since I had the same little clown with bells on his feet. That little clown got sent to the Goodwill real fast.

My darling friend Jennifer (far left) knows how easily scared I am, and unfortunately for me, takes advantage of this quite often. I used to go to her house and she would tell me scary stories and I loved it, but I suffered silently all the way home, being too scared to look in my rear view mirror for fear that a dummy was back there waiting to kill me. One time, she scared me so bad that I thought I was literally going to die within the next few seconds. I was petrified with fear and could not even turn around to meet my demise. Fortunately for me, it was not the purple people eater that was behind me, but her roommate (jenny’s roommate, not the purple people eater’s roommate). I didn’t sleep well that night.

Yet, I go to Halloween Horror Nights in Orlando and Howl-o-Scream in Tampa and any other haunted houses I can find. I throw Halloween parties every year and one year (2003) I even converted my own house into a haunted house for the trick-or-treaters. I love to watch horror movies. I love to hear scary stories. I even wrote a research paper for school on the paranormal once. I love to dress up and I love to scare people. So why is it that I love to immerse myself (and now my son) in all that is and scary when I am so easily haunted by it? Who knows….that’s one to ponder on…in the meantime…I’m gonna go watch Friday the Thirteenth!

1 Comments:

Blogger AmandaDufau said...

BOO!!

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home