Sunday, February 26, 2006

Happy Birthday Gringa-meat!

Today is my favorite gringa-meat's birthday! Jen was christened with the affectionate "gringa-meat" name some time back in high school because she was one of the few white folk in our neighborhood. Jen and I are like Laverne and Shirley. We have had so many wonderful adventures together, whenever I think of her, I just laugh.

She is now living on the west coast and that saddens me because I find that whenever a friend moves away..."poof" there goes the close friendship. Don't get me wrong, I still talk to those friends that have moved away, but it's just not the same. They find new friends to share their lives with and so you start hearing from them less and less. You stop being involved in their day to day lives and experiences. I'm happy for them that they have found new friends (cause how sad would that be if they didn't have any friends where they live), but I'm sad for me. Out of all my friends, I think that this growing up business has hit me the hardest. Throughout my school years, my strongest attachment had been my friends. I used to relish seeing them every day and talking about all our "adventures" and what good "cheese" (chisme, gossip) we had. Once we graduated from high school it ended quite abruptly. I had been used to seeing them every day, so it was sad not to. When we started going to college and getting jobs, we only saw each other anywhere from once a week to once a month. I got used to it eventually because all our lives got complicated, so even if we did want to see each other more often, it just wasn't feasible at times. Now whenever a friend moves away I feel like I'm losing them all over again. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that's trying to keep some connection going there and that if it weren't for my efforts to speak to them or see them, that they would have stopped talking to me years ago. Maybe I should take a hint. Maybe they're moving to get away from me. ha ha.

Anyway, enough introspective rambling. Hopefully this won't happen with Jen. She and I always have a great time when we're together and she's one of the few friends that "gets" my Halloween addiction. I'll have to share some of our adventures with you (marlins win the world series, trick or treat...what are you?), sometime, but I'll save those for another day. So much introspection has left me with tired fingers and a heavy heart.

3 Comments:

Blogger Emmakirst said...

trust me, i'd be dying of gluttony too. i lovvvvvvvvvvveeeee chocolate.!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Emmakirst said...

haha, your post didn't show for the 26, yesterday on my pc, only the deadly sins did. Awwww, sorry your good friend has moved away. I know it's tough and the friendship just isn't the same.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

It's my fault actually because I moved my posts around. =o)

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home