Monday, June 05, 2006

Babies and restaurants, a deadly combination

Greetings furry (for those of you that haven't shaved yet) friends! Boy am I feeling jolly today. Hm...I wonder why...anyways, I placed the ad for the nanny in a small newspaper thingy and it came out on Wednesday last week. I put my mom's phone number so that she could speak with them and arrange interview dates. My poor mother, I think she's received easily over 100 calls in the past week. I can see her cringe every time her cell phone rings; she doesn't even answer it anymore. I asked for it I guess. We interviewed three ladies on Saturday. The first one doesn't have papers to be in the country, the second one doesn't really seem like she needs the job (so any little thing that upsets her and she'll be out the door), and the third one was trying to convince us to put Christian in modeling. She went to her car to get the brochures and everything to show us that her grandkids were also in modeling. Sweet thought, but who has the time for that? Anyway, the third lady was nice, except that she travels to her home country alot, so what would we do when she is gone? I liked her because she seemed very energetic and she worked at daycares before and had all the certifications and hours required to do so. She has her own transportation and doesn't live very far from us, so everything sounds great, well, except for the traveling thing.
Since my mom is so fed up with phone calls, she told me to just pick that one and that's it. I'm not so sure I want to do that. I mean, hello, I paid for the ad, I paid so that I could have many choices, so I'd like to interview a couple more. Not all 100 of them, but you know, at least 5 or 6. So today, I think we're seeing 2 or 3 more. Depending on whether I like them or not, we'll see if we interview more or not.

Other than the nanny deal, we didn't really do much this weekend. Yesterday, Ren, Christian and I went to the mall to see if we could find some really nice patio furniture. It got kind of late, so we decided to have dinner there. I had seen this restaurant called Texas de Brazil and I wanted to try it. Little did I know that it was a nice establishment with tablecloths and cloth napkins that charges 40 dollars per person. Oopsy. So Ren and I dressed in jeans walk in with the stroller and feel totally out of place, but we were hungry and already there, so whatever, screw the smart casual dress code. Now, usually, Christian is very well behaved in restaurants, so we didn't even think twice of going there with him, but no, not that day. He didn't want to be in his stroller, he didn't like the high chair, he wanted to be on my lap pulling all the things off the table. When it was time for him to eat, I put him back in his stroller and put his bib on. He pulled it off. I put it back on and he screamed. Ok, bib stays off. I fed him carrots and he didn't want any so he screamed again. Ok, no carrots. I made him his bottle and after a little while he threw it and screamed. I don't know where the heck he learned to do that, but it was then and there that he decided to practice his screaming skills. Every time we did something that he didn't like, he would let out a scream. Fortunately, Ren and I had a sense of humor (that day anyway) and just laughed at him. Cause, honestly, it really was funny. If you know me in RL, ask me and I'll do the little scream for you, very funny. So the point of the story is that neither of us got to eat in peace. We had to take turns eating and keeping him from screaming. Ren and I vowed to never be one of those couples that brought a screaming baby to a restaurant and that night, we were exactly that. It looks like Christian is at the age where he can no longer be taken to an eating establishment. He will no longer just lie in his stroller quietly and drink his milk and go to sleep, oh no, not anymore. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. We left the smart casual place looking not too smart and extremely casual with carrot baby food all over Christian, and not to mention all over our clothes as well. Fun times.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya Claudia, some assvice on the nanny thing - do a trial run with them where they come and spend the day with you taking care of Christian. You are home and instruct them but let them take care of him. You have to pay them obviously for their time but you really want to make sure it is a good fit. Better to hire someone and then not like them because then you are back to square 1 again. We did trial run days with 3 nannies before hiring the one we have had for over a year now.

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home