Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Leaving on a jet plane...

Procrastination is the name of the game...

Ok so it's time to tell you all about my trip to El Salvador. The plane ride was uneventful. Here I was worried that I would have a kicking, screaming, walking toddler on the plane, and no such thing happened. Fortunately his bottle and nap coincided with the plane taking off, so as soon as the plane was running down the runway I put the bottle in his mouth (to avoid the ear pain) and he was in sleepy-land 5 minutes later. The movement on the plane actually lulled him to sleep. He slept for over an hour and when he woke up, he played with his favorite rings (check out my sexy plane hair). At one point I was afraid that he would put a hat on the passenger in front of us, but luckily he refrained from doing so. He had major mommy-itis the whole time that we were over there. It worked in my favor because he didn't want to walk up and down the aisle of the plane. He just wanted to stand next to me and be on my lap (or grandma's lap). Also in our favor was the fact that the flight was only about 2 hours long. Yay.

Once we were in my grandmother's house, he acclimated somewhat well to the whole change of environment. He was a bit overwhelmed by all the new faces. He loved walking all around the house and exploring all the cool things he doesn't have at home. The weather was hot over there (no A/C) so he spent most of his days in just diapers and a T-shirt. Unfortunately the mosquitoes ate us up (especially at night) and I ended up with 50 bites on one leg alone. Chris fared a little better as he only got about 15 total.

During the 14 days that we were there we went to lots of nice places. At the mall, I tried to put Chris on the merry-go-round, but let's just say there was nothing merry about it. Mommy-itis strikes again. On Christmas Eve, we went over to visit my sisters and Chris got to meet a whole other set of new faces. After that, we headed back to grandma's house to see the fireworks outside and open presents. Chris was asleep by then, so he had to wait until the next morning to open all his presents. Santa brought him a fridge farm and he loved it!

The following morning we headed to our beloved beach house. Chris loved looking at all the animals that he usually only gets to see in pictures. Although we live in Florida, Chris had never been to the beach before (yes, believe it), so the whole experience was quite interesting. He didn't want to sit in the sand and play with it, only on mommy's lap. We tried to put him in the inflatable pool, but he just screamed like we were dipping him in hot oil. In hindsight, I guess the saltwater must have bothered his mosquito bites...plus the water was a little cold, so who can blame him. After much prodding and convincing, we were finally able to get him to stand and walk around on his own. After the beach, we headed back to the house to go in the pool (that went a lot better since it wasn't his first time) and relax a bit. It was really special taking him to our family's beach house because I have many fond memories of it.

The following day, we were off to the beach again (different beach). This time we headed over to the house that my sisters had rented. The water wasn't as cold, but he still wasn't amused.
There were some major cows on the beach this time, so I didn't feel too bad being out in my bathing suit. Christian had a much better time indoors...eating (definitely his mother's son). We had the most delicious shrimp I have ever tasted and lunch was great too! Chris successfully went in the pool again and then we watched the sunset before heading back home. What a nice time we had!

The following day, it was off to the beach...just kidding. The next two days were spent at home relaxing. Chris had two teeth coming out on top and was biting on everything and everyone he could get his little hands on. We hired a nanny to help watch him while we were over there and he hated the poor girl (as evidenced by the biting picture). I don't think that particular bite had anything to do with teething though; he hated the nanny and he hates having things put on his head.

On the thirtieth, Ren joined us and we all went out to this nice night spot called "La Gran Via". We walked around a bit and then went to Benihana's for dinner. My cousins Dario and Camila even joined in on the show. New Year's eve was great with friends and family, but C-man went to sleep early, so he missed all the festivities and fortunately this time the fireworks didn't wake him up (he woke up briefly on Christmas Eve).

The first day of 2007 was Ren's birthday, so we headed off to the beach again. No, really, we did. This time, we went to my mom's friend's beach house. Christian was happy as long as he had his rings with him and Ren finally got a chance to relax a bit. As far as the beach was concerned though, the third time was not the charm. He didn't want to leave my side. I finally gave up and went to the pool instead.

The following day was Christian's baptism, but I will leave that for another post because this one is already way too long!

I'm signing off by wishing myself a HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY! I honestly didn't think I would be able to keep this up for a whole year (or that anyone one other than me, myself and I would read it). Yay me!

Oh and Happy Birthday to my little brother. He's turning 21 today!


Post a Comment

<< Home