Monday, February 19, 2007

Big Ole Update Post

I stayed indoors for most of this weekend. It has been really cold here lately (a low of 43 degrees today!). I can just hear the northerners snickering at me now. Laugh all you want, but my wardrobe is not prepared for these sudden chills. I don't see me ever leaving this state; the cold and I are NOT friends. In fact, we egg each others houses on Halloween...that's how much we hate each other.

Speaking of friends, Cristy is planning a girls night out. I don't think we've ever really had one of these before. Well, not one with ALL of the girls (well, without the men being there too) and no, baby showers don't count. Hopefully we will be able to decide on a date pretty soon (this Saturday?); coordinating the schedules of 7 women is not an easy task. I don't know where we're going yet, but karaoke has been recommended as well as a bar/restaurant. Does anyone have any ideas? Either way, regardless of where we go, much fun will be had and many drinks will be imbibed (especially if you want me to sing). You can count on my camera being there too.


Tomorrow is Christian's follow up appointment with the hand doctor. He'll have the bandages removed and I guess we'll find out what happens next. Fortunately, he hasn't really paid any attention to his hand. He uses it more now (you can tell because the bandage is dirty now), so I changed the outer covering of it on Friday night. He's done with the antibiotics too, so let's see what happens. Since Friday he has been wanting to take it off, so it must be bothering him now. He wasn't trying to remove it before because his finger would hurt when he tugged at it. I'm thinking it doesn't hurt him too much anymore because he keeps wacking it into things and I cringe, but he doesn't even notice.

We also made an appointment for him to see the audiologist on Friday. For as long as I can remember he's been touching his right ear (and also just behind the ear too). We keep bringing it up to his pediatrician and she keeps checking his ears and saying they look fine and there's no infection. Well, it's time to start thinking outside the box lady and figure out what it could be because he does it more and more each day.

I've been meaning to post some updates on what the Cman is doing these days, but I keep putting it off and forgetting etc, so I figured I might as well do them all at once here. Go for a bathroom break...go grab some coffee.

As far as talking goes, he says a couple of things (agua, mama, papa, dada, ba). I only speak to him in Spanish and R only speaks to him in English, so perhaps he doesn't know quite what to say yet. For example he says "ball" to me...."ba" and I say "si pelota". I don't want to confuse him and have him think that he said it wrong, but I also don't want to switch languages back and forth on him either, so I'm really at a loss here and don't know what to do to keep from confusing him further. Did I confuse you there?

I did notice this weekend that he has been trying to immitate sounds more. When I scold him and say "no-no-no-no" he responds with his own "na-na-na-na". When he plays with his see'n say* toy he immitates the cow sound with his own version "mmmmmm". He tried to say "shshsh" when I was shushing the dogs. He also tried to say "ya!". I noticed he was making alot of noises and babbling alot more than usual, so perhaps a verbal explosion is just around the corner (as opposed to the other types of explosions that take place just around the corner).

In other toddler tricks, he is able to identify (point to when prompted) his hair, eyes, ears, mouth, tummy, shirt, shoes, hands, arm, dogs, cats, ducks, frog (ok once). He follows orders well: pick (item) up and put it (place) or puts toys away. He has an animal puzzle and can place the pieces in the right place but has trouble fitting them in the right position (at which point he screams and throws the puzzle piece and then throws the entire puzzle across the room....a bit of a temper eh?). He likes to "read" books by himself or he brings them to me when he wants me to read one. The reading lasts for a whole 3 pages when he quickly decides he wants another. He is also finally starting to like drawing. I say that because he used to throw or eat crayons before and wouldn't color with them even though I tried to show him how. Yesterday he actually picked a marker up and wanted to color with it. I let him experiment with the makers and he colored with them, but also tried to eat one. A small price to pay for a masterpiece if you ask me.

It's amazing how quickly they learn things and start to make connections in their brains. Yesterday we were playing with Candy and her little teddy bear. Cman would pick it up and we would tell him to throw it to the dog. Candy, being not too fond of the child, would generally ignore the toy and Cman's attempts to play with her. Seeing as how she wasn't playing with him, he quickly went to the kitchen (where all the dogs' toys are) and pulled out Lucy's favorite bone. He brought the bone back and threw it at Candy. Seeing as how the bone belongs to Lucy and probably weighs more than Candy, she didn't like it either. I just thought it was so cool to see that his little brain had made all those connections:
doggie doesn't want to play -> doggie doesn't like the toy ->perhaps she'll like another ->where are the other dog toys? -> in the kitchen -> let's go get one -> here is the toy that the other doggie likes alot -> perhaps this doggie will like it too ->let's throw it to her and see if she'll play now.
Call me a child-crazy mom, but I thought it was cute.

He also recently learned how to make an Indian noise by saying "aaaaaa" and tapping his mouth repeatedly with his open hand. I think we'll hold off on the bow and arrows for now.

Stay tuned for further developments...

_______________________________________________
*Since when is this toy called "See'n say" (or "The Farmer says")? For some reason I thought it was called "Speak and Say". Did I imagine that it was called "Speak and Say" at some point? or am I confusing it with the "Speak and Spell"? Either way, it's hard to Google something when you don't even know what it's called.

2 Comments:

Blogger AmandaDufau said...

It's always been called the See 'N Say, girl. Where you been?!

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Without in any way implying that he isn't speaking enough — because he sounds normal to me! — I have read that when you speak two languages to your child, it takes them a little longer to really get the hang of the talking thing, but then once they do, they take off in both languages at once. Of course, I can't remember the source, but I did some reading about it because we contemplated it with Eliza. I speak Dutch and German, so I thought about German. Our problem is, my husband's German consists of "beer" — which is not really in the working vocabulary of a toddler — and it's not like he has time to pick it up anywhere now, so I've abandoned that plan for now.
That's so very cool that you're doing it, though. I am completely envious, and what a HUGE advantage C will have.

BTW: Thanks for the link! Am I totally lame to just have noticed it there now?

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home