Friday, March 23, 2007

Toddler Book Review

Like I mentioned in a previous post, Chris doesn't let me pick his bedtime stories anymore. He has very strong opinions on which books he "lets" me read to him. Our bedtime routine now consists of him picking out which book he wants read to him. He brings it to me and raises his arms so that I will put him on my lap in the rocking chair. Once I'm done, he jumps off my lap to go and pick another, this will happen 3 or 4 times until I tell him that we've read enough books and it's time to go to bed. He usually chooses among the same 8 books and let me tell you, I'm starting to memorize these stories now:

Goodnight Moon: He likes to point to the moon, cow, bears, and balloon. I just got this in Spanish too, so let's see if he likes that version as well.

Hungry Caterpillar (in Spanish): He likes to stick his finger in the little holes that the caterpillar leaves. He likes the part that talks about all the fruit that the Caterpillar has eaten during the week (and junkfood on Saturday). He likes to point to the butterfly at the end.

My Good Morning Book: I bought this book on ebay because the little boy on the cover reminds me of Christian. Who knew he would end up liking it so much? It's a nice short book that I don't mind reading a million times. He likes to point to the ball, dog, pj's, teddy bear and toothbrush.

Pat the Bunny: This book is alot of fun for him since it has so many little things to do. He likes to point to the children (Judy and Paul). He likes to pat the bunny. He likes to play peekaboo with Paul. He likes to smell the flowers. At first, he didn't get why I was putting the book up to his face, but he quickly learned to smell the flowers. We always smell the flowers on the page and then I say "mmmm". The other day, my mom said that he smelled a flower in her garden and then said "mmmm". It's pretty cool how he made the connection from smelling flowers in a book to smelling them in real life. He likes to feel daddy's scratchy beard and points to the dad and says "dada". He likes me to read Judy's book and always says "shhhh" when I get to the last page which says "shhhh bunny is sleeping". He likes to put his finger through mommy's ring. He doesn't like to wave bye bye. He's never done it. I recently got him Pat the Puppy and Pat the Cat, but he doesn't seem to like these as much as the original. I find that they are wordier than Pat the Bunny.

ABC slide book: This book has pictures of items next to the letter that their name begins with. WhenI read it in English I say the letter, the sound of the letter and the name of the item. When I read it in spanish, I just tell him the names of the items. The last page has all the items on it. I ask him to point out specific items to see if he'll recognize them. He gets them right most of the time when I ask him in Spanish. In English, not so much.

The Monster at the End of This Book: This is a fun book about Grover not wanting you to turn pages because he is scared of the monster at the end of the book. The words on the page are big and expressive. Chris loves it when I read them as such. He cracks up when I get to the page that says "YOU TURNED ANOTHER PAGE!". I got him this book because I used to have it when I was young and really liked it alot.

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly: I read this to him in a sing song voice (as if I were singing the song). He loves pointing to the animals in her belly. He gets a little carried away with the pointing and page turning sometimes and has already ripped the book.

Tortillitas Para Mama: This is a book that has little nursery rhymes from Latin American countries, but it also has the English translations. It's cute if you read the Spanish versions, but the English translations just don't carry the same meaning.

I love how he has a whole bookcase full of books, yet he always picks among these books.

It's funny how with kids, just when you think you have little routine going, they go and change it on you. It started with not letting me pick the books and now he won't go to sleep right away either. He has a little music box hanging on his crib rail which I would turn on for him when he had trouble going to sleep or if he woke up in the middle of the night. He hadn't used it in a long time until recently when he's decided to not just go to sleep nicely like he used to.

After the reading and the singing he is wide awake and when I put him in his crib he sits up (or stands up) and starts asking for Dada or tries to start talking and babbling. I put the little music on for him and that seemed to calm him down and get him to go to sleep.

Last night I put him down and he was laying down nicely but then sprung up (because I hadn't put the music on for him) to turn the music on. Not only that, but he pressed the button repeatedly to choose which song he wanted to hear. Once the song came on, he laid back down and went to sleep, just like that. Silly boy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home