Saturday, September 06, 2008

Sadness and Tragedy

For a while there, I thought I'd managed to dodge the baby blues.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to avoid utter sadness due to some recent events.

On Aug 22, 2008, my Grandma, my Dad's mom (well, his aunt technically, but she raised him) passed away in her sleep. She was 107 1/2 years old. Fearing that this news would drive me into a full-blown depression (what, with the postpartumness and all) I was not informed of this until a week later. The news made me sad, but it was more comforting than anything. She lived a very long life and she is now in peace. When they first told me, I cried a little, but more because I felt sad for my dad. Now that it's had time to sink in, I cry because I think of the pleasant childhood memories I have of her. Te quiero mucho Mama Tey, te extrañare.


A couple of days ago, R and I were talking about H, his friend from college. He was telling me that she had a baby girl some months ago and was so happy. They made plans to get together soon so we could see her baby and she could meet ours. This morning I was brought to tears by a phone call from Ren. He told me that H's baby had died of SIDS. My heart hurts for her and I can't even begin to imagine what she is going through. Just last night I was reading an article on SIDS in Parenting magazine. It scared me and forced me to make sure that JJ was on his back. Who knew it would hit close to home in a matter of hours.

I am sad today. Sad that my grandma is gone, sad for my dad, sad for H, sad for the baby she will never see grow up.

I've been hugging my little baby a bit tighter today.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger AmandaDufau said...

Oh, my friend, I'm so sorry. Please give my condolences to your Dad, and Ren's friend.
(((Claudia)))

p.s. I'll hop in my car and drive the 10 minutes to your house, if you need a real life hug. Just let me know...

7:32 PM  
Blogger elizasmom said...

Oh, Claudia, I am so sorry. What heartbreak, on both counts. Virtual hugs coming your way.

And if it would make you feel better to talk about it, I would love to read more about your Grandmother. (But only if you really feel like sharing — grieve however you need to.)

11:01 PM  
Blogger Lilli said...

Claudia I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother... My condolences to your family and R's friend.

I also send you a virtual hug and remember that I am only a phone call away if you need a friend. Ditto on what Amanda said I will hop into my car and go to see you if you need a friend to lean on.

Take care sweetie!!!

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to read this. SIDS is such an amazingly scary thing. I can't even comprehend it.

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hugs to you, Claudia.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home