Friday, February 20, 2009

Simultaneously the shortest and longest book club meeting ever

Since I've been in dire need of adult conversation and me-time that doesn't involve having a baby attached to me, on Wednesday night I went to my very first book club meeting. It was organized by my friend Claudia and it consisted of a bunch of friends from high school; some of which I had not seen in about 15 years! The book we read and "discussed" was Jen Lancaster's Such a Pretty Fat. It's about her experiences with trying to lose weight. At times when I was reading the book it seemed to me like she was eating shit and making excuses and it got a little annoying, like, OK, this is a dieting book, get to it! Easier said than done I guess. The author has a blog and she is very funny. I'm amazed that I actually got to finish the book (it was seriously competing with my finisht the Twilight book series time). I can't say the same for the rest of our book club members though.

The get-together was at Claudia's beautiful home and there was quite a delicious food spread for us to snack on while we discussed the diet book (the irony of that is not lost on me, I assure you). Let me tell you though, seeing old friends after so long, makes it really really really hard to discuss a book. We discussed it alright, for like 5 minutes. After that it was on to more important pressing discussions like why Chrissy has 9 bottles of laundry detergent in her house, or the crazy things that Claudia's crappy ex boyfriends did, or what ever happened to so-and-so, or why was I constantly "in love" with (and stalking) half the male population of our high school, and Patty's observations about how we all look the same, well "our faces" anyway (ha ha!)

We laughed, ate, talked and drank wine (not me, I get sleepy) and with four bloggers in residence, I have a feeling there will be plenty of coverage of the event. I guess you could say it was also a mini-blogmeet!

A wonderful time was had by all and 4 hours later, it was time to go home. I really had a blast reconnecting with these ladies and can't wait to do it again next month! Everyone was super nice and it made me wonder why I wasn't better friends with these people in high school (oh yeah, that's right, I was too busy stalking boys). Either way, I'm glad we're friends now.


*This reunion was brought to you by Facebook . Photos courtesy of Amanda and Chrissy via Facebook. I heart Facebook.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger elizasmom said...

Hahaha, this sounds like my bookclub: Lots of gossip, copious food, and about 5 minutes of actual book discussion. Sounds like a great time!

11:34 AM  
Blogger AmandaDufau said...

I can't wait till the next one either. I totally did not expect it to be as much fun as it was. I mean, I didn't think I'd be bored, I knew it would be fun, but it far exceeded my expectations. I guess we're just cool like that!

12:38 PM  
Blogger nicóle said...

Sounds like fun. I've read Such A Pretty Fat (blogged about it too -http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=1157828070814608496&searchType=ALL&txtKeywords=&label=Jennifer+Lancaster) I really liked it probably because I could relate to a lot of the "fat" talk.

I'm a HUGE Twilight fan, are you?

2:18 PM  
Blogger nicóle said...

I totally messed up the link - here's the right one!

http://prettypinkchandelier.blogspot.com/2008/08/insomnia.html

2:21 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Hi nicólle,
Thanks for the link; I'll check it out. Yes, I really enjoyed the Twilight books. I can't wait until the next movie!

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home