Monday, March 16, 2009

Elusive Infection

The ER is not a fun place to be, yet that is where I spent 9 hours on Friday and 3 hours on Saturday. The culprit? Jordan's high fevers.

Let's start at the beginning. For a couple of weeks now JJ had been having fevers that came and went. On Wed last week the fever was 103.8 so on Thursday we took him to the pediatrician. His ears were fine, his throat was fine, his urine was fine. No malady could be found. He had blood work done and it showed that his white blood cell counts were really high, so on Friday, the doctor called us back in to her office and sent him to Baptist ER. At the ER my poor baby had a battery of tests that I don't wish for any parent to have to watch their baby go through. He had a catheterization done (to check for urinary tract infection), he had mucus aspirated through a tube that was stuck up his nose (to check for Flu or RSV), he had an IV placed on his hand (that took 10 minutes...10 minutes of crying and screaming...horrible), and he had a chest Xray (to check for pneumonia). They were determined to locate the infection, but they did not. They gave him IV antibiotics and sent him home with a promise to return the next day for more antibiotics.

On Saturday we returned and they told us that the blood culture had grown something so he had Bacteremia (bacteria in the blood). Unfortunately we still don't know where it originated and/or how it got there. Another blood culture was drawn (amazingly enough, he didn't cry this time) and he was given a shot of antibiotic and sent home with a prescription for an antibiotic to take by mouth for 7 days.

I just called the hospital and the first culture was not big enough, so that's why they drew another one on Saturday. Unfortunately, Saturday's blood draw was very measly (just a couple of drops), so I don't know if that will help at all either. I hope he doesn't have to get poked again, but it's certainly looking that way.

I'm really worried about this because if they don't know what's growing in the blood culture, how will they be able to give the correct antibiotic? I hope the one he's taking now works and kills the elusive infection he seems to have somewhere in his body. If it's not working, then will this allow the infection to spread to other parts of his body? since it's in his blood?

I'm also wondering if this is somehow related to all his gastric problems (spitting up, reflux). Although the Prevacid was discontinued at his 6 month visit, we went back to giving it to him because he was miserable with out it. He doesn't eat but 3 or 4 spoons of baby food in a sitting, he won't take cereal, or formula and he is very gassy and crabby. I'm thinking a visit to the Pediatric GI is in our future as well.

Please send good thoughts our way.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger elizasmom said...

Oh No! Poor JJ, poor Claudia! That is so scary! I am hoping that the antibiotic takes effect very soon and that they find out what's got him down. Frankly, your GI theory does not sound wacky at all to me, so I hope that maybe you can take care of both in one fell swoop.
Good luck!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Lilli said...

I will send GOOD VIBES JJ's way!!!

Please keep me posted.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sending massive good vibes. That is very scary for you all and I know there is nothing worse than seeing your child in pain. LM once had an IV that they had to put in his hand and tape it up and sit for 4 hours - I never want to go through that again. Please keep us posted.

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bendito.
I hope it all gets resolved quickly and painlessly.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home