Friday, June 25, 2010

Toy Story 3 aka Sob Story

I need to stay away from the movies until I toughen up my outer shell. For reals. Last night I went to see Toy Story 3 with my friend Ayleen. I figured it was a nice, light, cute, cartoon for the evening. Oh boy, was I wrong. In the film they show pictures of Andy as a young boy (say, a little bit older than Christian’s age) and they show him playing with buzz and woody (Christian loves his woody doll) and the boy has light skin and dark hair just like Chris and so that's all it took for me to make the jump and go OMG my baby is going to grow up and leave me! It’s funny cause Ayleen goes, oh no, you’re going to lose it now. She was right...and that was just the opening scene.

The main plot point is about what's going to happen to Andy's toys now that he’s leaving to college. Now, if the whole comparison to my son weren't enough, I am SUPER sentimental when it comes to objects (especially toys cause they remind me of my youth). As a child it always traumatized me whenever my mom got rid of toys without me knowing. It was like a piece of me had been taken away. My little white teddy bear with the rattle tail, my Barbie pony, my little people school house. These were all toys that went to the big Goodwill in the sky one day when I wasn't even there to defend them. Trauma!

I still have a box of my toys (that I managed to wrangle from my mother's hands) in the attic (hello Cabbage Patch kids, Barbie, Ken, Jem, Strawberry Shortcake, I hope you guys are comfy up there) and a lot of the toys that Chris and JJ currently have and play with (Little People Garage, Snoopy Snow Cone Machine, Lite Brite) are ones that I used to have (or wanted to have) as a child. I've found them on eBay (several of them actually come out in the movie…talk about a walk down memory lane) and just had to have them (again, in some cases). What can I say, I'm a sucker for sentimentality.

It's pretty strange because my kids are not like that at all. When I ask Chris if he wants to get rid of any toys so we can clean up the playroom, he very easily starts dumping things in the trash. A little too easily. Perhaps it's that he's spoiled, so he figures, ah, I'll just get more toys, so who cares. Or perhaps he's not old enough to have any major attachments to the toys yet (or perhaps, he's...you know...normal) but I'm the one that suffers on clean up days...and these aren't even my toys! Chris, are you sure you don't want to keep this little car with the pig in it? It's so cute! Noooo don't throw away the Darth Vader action figure, look how cool he is....yes, I know his leg is broken....it's OK, we've got superglue.

Yes, I realize, I'm a lost cause. Somebody please call Hoarders.

If you're not a total sap, go see the movie. It is awesome. R is going to see it with Christian.

I'd see it again, but I don't think I can handle it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home